Tuesday, June 15, 2010
At the next meeting please bring your brick and plan on working on it at the meeting.
After the brick project is finished we are planning on going back to the Altered Surfaces book. However if anyone has a book with a particular technique that you want to learn, please bring the book in, we would love to add that to the techniques we want to work on at future meetings. We even discussed the possibility of working from 2 or 3 books just so we don't wind up bored with one book. We want to try to get into other publications as well.
Since attendance was slim, we adjourned early.
We are looking forward to the next meeting and don't forget to bring your brick.
Monday, May 24, 2010
I am lookiong forward to our new location.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
The retreat was so much fun. We all gathered at Jean's house at 9:00 am. We had breakfast, a hot from the oven, Sausage-Cheese Strata. I will include the recipe at the end of this post.
The first project we did was soldering. Sandi walked us thru the whole process and we all did fine with soldering. This is a technique that takes time to perfect. To get really good, we have to keep doing soldering projects. You know the old saying, practice makes perfect.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
- Soldering - led by Sandi C.
- Fairies - led by Beth M.
- Etching on Metal - led by Carla D. & Angie B.(Below are 2 pics of their trial run.These pic's are posted on Angie's blog so click here to go to her blog for more info.Scroll down to the March 14 posting.)
Items to bring:
For the soldering project
- Soldering Iron *
- solder (lead free)*
- flux *
- sponge try to bring the type that has a green scruffy on one side and the sponge on the other.
- soldering tape *
- Glass slides 1"X3" and/or 1 1/2" X 1 1/2"
- clamps to keep fingers from getting burnt, clamp type clothes pin could work.
- flux brush - do not bring sponge brush for this project
For the fairies project
Scrunchies (from the Dollar Tree store) these have chiffon on them
For the etching on metal project
- Heat Tool
- Spray Paint - optional - any color, acts as a resist
- Eye Protection (very important)
- Smock (important to protect your clothes since we will be working with muriatic acid)
- Rubber Gloves (kitchen kind will work)
- paper towels
- Metal sheets *
- Black staz-on
- permanent markers
- acrylic paint
- painters tape (masking tape)
- plastic containers - about the size of a chinese take out carton
- metal cutting scissors- you will need these if your metal is too thick to be cut with regular scissors
This retreat is going to be another great and fun day of learning new techniques that we will be able to use in our altered art.
We are all looking forward to this retreat. See you there.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
We will be working out of the book, Altered Surfaces, this is a Design Originals Book.
We will be working thru the Technique on pages 12-13., "Hobby Plastic as a Surface." Items needed are:
- Plastic, acrylic or plexiglas
- Scoring or cutting tool for plastic(OlfaP-Cutter 800, scoring tool or Inscriblio, etching tool)
- Tools and pens to make marks
- Alcohol wipes to remove oil and fingerprints
- Acrylic paints in various colors
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Friday, January 29, 2010
*For the Framable Art project ...bring a mat and/or frame of your choice. You will want
the opening to be 8 X10 or larger! (I buy CLEARANCE framed art at HomeGoods, but
make sure you disassemble it & remove the old art so it is ready to go that day!)
*Calligraphers: ...in addition bring your favorite pens, black & white gouache, mixing
brushes, water bottle, pencils, eraser, ruler, paper towels & any other calligraphic tools
that you wish.
*Non-CalligraDhers will be given some instructions/guidance on how to add text to your
project in an easy way. You may want to print out your text ahead of time on nice paper, in
segments which can then be cut apart and added to the page, although not necessary. If
you wish to try some writing of text, please bring pencils & gel pens in white and/or black.
*ALL levels of skill and enthusiasm are welcomed.
*PLEASE be prompt as there is a lot to cover in 6 short hours.
*Bring your own lunch to eat as you wish (there is a small refrigerator but no microwave)
*Parking is FREE at Dunham Recreation Center
For those who would like to take this class, but do not have Paste Paper or some of the
other listed materials, DO NOT let that stop vou! We will have Paste Paper for sale and
sharable supplies aplenty. Arches Text Wove and other decorative papers will also be
available for sale by the sheet.